Search This Blog

Saturday, March 13, 2010

New Caprica City

There are aspects of the TV show "Caprica" that I don't care for. But there are quite a few storylines that keep me coming back. 

  One in particular is New Cap City.  The first time I am introduced to the virtual game - the girl asked "how do you beat the game?" To which the geek answered "no one knows"

  Right there I knew that
A: it was probably foreshadowing a matrix like architect 
B: the writers have never played an MMORPG in their life.

Over 10 years ago when I started Everquest, my girlfriend at the time wanted to know when I would beat the game. I tried to tell her that it would never happen. You can grow bored, but there was always something to do on the horizon. 

  Then Caprica started talking about the death penalty. When you die - you are booted from the game. Not to return ever. New Cap is a harsh game, complete anarchy with people doing whatever they want. 

   The only game I know that was similiar was a 2 month server on Everquest. In that EQ. Everytime you died you were reset to a noob. Level 1 with no non-noob gear. You lost everything. And it was open PvP. There was some prize at the end of the time for the highest character. I made it to level 3. 

  Still it is an intresting idea with New Cap. A free game that let's you do anything. But how would you stop an alt?  Block IP addresses, and credit card accounts. Well I just said free, but if you charged a one time fee requiring a credit card you could stop anyone undering 18 from playing ( I said you could do anything in the game). And you would force people to jump through hoops to get another account. Plus multiple cards from a person might have the same address. And you could block it that way. 

   Picture Eve where when you die you don't come back. It would make playing a bit more intresting. 

   This is just a random thought I've been kicking around for 2 or 3 weeks
-Jason 

No comments:

Post a Comment