Search This Blog

Sunday, March 7, 2010

I love to mine

I have always wondered if there is anyone at CCP that loves to mine. 

  Over the past year since I have installed capsuleer and started listening to almost every podcast I can. There seems to be a common thread that everyone I have read/hear beilieves. The 2 worse things in the game are people who use macros. And people who mine. 

   So let me be perfectly clear : I love to mine. 

  There are a few reasons behind this. 
1) Probably the most important reason is relaxation. I can set a mining operation in front of me and watch Tv, talk to my wife, or just relax.
 
2) I can do chores. This is important to me.  There are things that need to get done while working around the house. Cleaning, laundry, mopping etc..  All I need to do is check on the cargo hold. 

3) My wife enjoys the head-rubbings. When it's bed time I can throw a History/Science channel on the TV and start a mining operation. Then I just give her a gentle massage to put her to sleep. 

Now my wife agrees with the majority of people. She has made a few comments about the boringness of the game while watching me crunch rocks. I just smile. I see the other side. 

   I will not mine this way in "dangerous" areas. But I have been doing this for 1 month shy of 4 years. I find a quiet place ( less then 15 people ) in high sec (0.8) with about 4 jumps from low-sec. 

   This is not to say that it is safe. Just unlikely. There was a minor incident a few months back while I was in my Hulk. Nothing to exciting, but while mining a yellow security warped to my point and stayed there for a few minutes. I went ahead and deployed tech 2 drones and turned on my invulnerable field. I have no illusion of surviving. My only hope was to delay long enough for Concord. In a few minutes he warped off.  Always wondered if my having a 3.5 year old character made him pause. Guess I will never know. 

  This blog was created becuase I went on a minor mining op yesterday. My wife and I had a  date. But there was about an hour or so before the baby sitter showed up. While she was playing with grandkids, I had a few minutes to kill. 

    Now for the past month I have been using my extra time to run missions in Star Trek Online. That game requires me to repeatably hit the space bar to fire. So yesterday I decided to get a mining op going to top off my need for minerals to make my 20 bombs. It was so nice to not have to be constantly working the controls. Instead I could get up and help out where needed. 

  -Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment