Search This Blog

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Human vs. Computer


Over the last few weeks ( or a month) I have kept talking about green screens.   And of course money. Thing is, I am just not that interested in seeing myself on the "big screen".  And of course money. 

   While doing my normal job function, I was thinking about alternatives. The best idea I had was using an animated bust. 

    A few clicks on the good 'ol iPhone and presto - Crazytalk. This program lets you import pictures and then animates them. 

I can get the picture by using the character creator in Eve Online. Then control F9 to take out the UI. Get a high def screen shot and presto - instant photo op. 

And of corse the money. 
Crazytalk Pro - $150
Eve Online - priceless

Vs.

Green screen software - $ 135
Really poor camera - $ 80
Lighting - 3 x $90
Space to set up a studio ( camera needs to be roughly 8 to 12 feet away ) - not going to happen

    With all the excitement, I got home and looked it over again. Sure enough there is a free trial version (barebones) for 14 days. 

Making the picture and importing it was a breeze. Well not really, the first time trying to find where Eve puts the screenshots was a pain. But after that it is a snap

Then it all turned to goo. Crazytalk has a bug in it for Windows 7,  took awhile but I got the patch for that. But my characters jaw still doesn't move. 

  So I don't know if it is my computer ( it meets recomended specs), the software, or what. 

 A little bummed about it. 
-Jason 

1 comment:

  1. WAHOO!!!!


    Addendum (spelling). It seems that Eve saves all screenshots as a Bitmap. And that in turn, CrazyTalk believes bitmaps are only for back grounds. Hence I have been trying to animate scenery!!!

    So to solve this - it took the highly technical application : Paint. I loaded Bitmap and saved it as JPEG. Now, I can move on to other problems.

    Like having the same emotion for 30 minutes. Plus I need to figure out how to liven up the back ground.

    -Jason

    ReplyDelete